【Set of 5】『Made in Japan』Koji Starter for Miso【Shirayuri Koji Starter】200g (for 200kg portion) - Marufuku Koji Starter, Product from Nihon Jyozo Kogyo Co., Ltd.
What is Koji Starter for Miso【Shirayuri Koji Starter】200g (for 200kg portion) - Marufuku Koji Starter, Product from Nihon Jyozo Kogyo Co., Ltd.
Established since 1917, Nihon Jyozo Kogyo Co., Ltd. was established by Dr. Meijirou Togano, who was an engineer at the Japan National Research Institute of Brewing.
As the research on shoyu (Japanese soy sauce) brewing had progressed, there had been an increasing demand for suitable koji starter for shoyu.
To meet the demands of more companies, Marufuku Koji Starter for Miso has been researched and developed over the years.
This is a koji starter with long white hyphae spore that are white and fluffy, very suitable for commercial koji and amazake (sweet sake).
You can use this koji starter to make white-colored foods and drinks with peace of mind because it does not turn brown (browning) nor discolor/change in color.
Suitable for light-colored white miso.
This product contains 200g of koji starter (Aspergillus) that can be stored for a long time, in conveniently sachet package so you can open it just as much as you need.
This is a very suitable koji starter/koji seed for those who want to make koji at home.
200g of this koji starter can be used for making 200kg of miso.
What is Koji Starter/Koji Seed?Koji starter or koji seed is the Aspergillus spore that becomes the source of koji.
Fermented foods such as miso and amazake (sweet sake) are made from raw koji.
And if there is no koji starter, you cannot make koji.
In the brewing industry, we call the koji starter as "sprouts."
The appearance of the koji starter's bud popped out and its whitish hyphae grows resembles the bean sprouts and budding trees figure, so it's called like that.
Fermentation Food Recipes Book
What is Koji?Give water to raw grains (rice, barley, beans, etc.), sprinkle seeds on steamed grains, and culture the seeds under temperature conditions suitable for the growth of Aspergillus oryzae.
That is how this koji starter is made.
Koji has so many kinds of enzymes that it is said to be a treasure house of enzymes, and it decomposes grains with its power.
Also, koji itself is also a nutritious food filled with sugar, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, etc. All these nutritions are made by the koji starter (Aspergillus oryzae).
Using koji, you can make traditional fermented foods such as sake, authentic shochu, mirin, miso, soy sauce, vinegar, amazake (sweet sake), etc.
Health Benefits of KojiWhen the intestinal environment (intestinal flora) gets better, the condition of your skin will be better and immunity will be improved.
It is fermented food that arrange this intestinal environment.
And, fermented foods are always made by microorganisms that induce fermentation.
The familiar ones are such as Aspergillus oryzae, Bacillus natto, Lactobacillus, and other bacteria/fungus.
Among them, the one that creates miso, shouyu (Japanese soy sauce) and sake is koji starter (Aspergillus oryzae).
This koji starter (Aspergillus oryzae) matches well with Japan's climate, and it was found in the Muromachi Period (1336–1573).
Major Nutrients of Koji
- ■ Vitamin B1 : Helps produce energy | Fatigue recovery | Suppress irritation/stress feeling | Amnesia prevention | Helps breaking down carbohydrates.
- ■ Vitamin B2 : Helps the metabolism of skin | Helps breaking don lipids | Accelerate growth speed | Sebum control | Prevent oral ulcer/stomatitis.
- ■ Vitamin B6 : Reduce premenstrual syndrome (PMS) | Improve immunity | Prevent arteriosclerosis | Helps breaking down proteins and lipids | Prevent oral ulcer/stomatitis | Suppress the excitation of nerve cells.
- ■ Vitamin H (Biotin) : Suppressing the cause of atopic dermatitis | Prevent diabetes | Alleviate epilation and gray hairs.
- ■ Pantothenic acid : Stress resistant | Helps breaking down lipids | Detoxification from chemical compound | Increase good cholesterol | Maintaining the health of skin | Increase immunity.
- ■ Essential amino acids : Among the 20 types of amino acids making up proteins, nine kinds of them can not be synthesized in the body. If there are any lacks of them, muscle, blood, bone cannot be made.
These nutrients can be consumed in supplements, but when ingested from koji based food, the absorption rate in body is over 90%.
The Amount of The Koji Rice That Can be Made and the Amount of Rice and Koji Starter Used
This is just a reference to the amount of koji rice and koji starter seed.
For the koji starter, it is easier to make koji rice if you use koji starter in bigger amount. Even if you use a lot of koji starter, there will be no problem.
The Amount of Miso That Can Be Made and the Amount of Ingredients Used
|Finished Miso||2.5 kg||5 kg||7.5 kg||10 kg||12.5 kg||15 kg||17.5 kg||20 kg||22.5 kg||25 kg|
|Rice Koji||1 kg||2 kg||3 kg||4 kg||5 kg||6 kg||7 kg||8 kg||9 kg||10 kg|
|Soybeans||500 gr||1 kg||1.5 kg||2 kg||2.5 kg||3 kg||3.5 kg||4 kg||4.5 kg||5 kg|
|Salt||300 gr||600 gr||900 gr||1.2 kg||1.5 kg||1.8 kg||2.1 kg||2.4 kg||2.7 kg||3 kg|
|Finished Miso||2.5 kg||5 kg||7.5 kg||10 kg||12.5 kg|
|Rice Koji||1 kg||2 kg||3 kg||4 kg||5 kg|
|Soybeans||500 gr||1 kg||1.5 kg||2 kg||2.5 kg|
|Salt||300 gr||600 gr||900 gr||1.2 kg||1.5 kg|
|15 kg||17.5 kg||20 kg||22.5 kg||25 kg|
|6 kg||7 kg||8 kg||9 kg||10 kg|
|3 kg||3.5 kg||4 kg||4.5 kg||5 kg|
|1.8 kg||2.1 kg||2.4 kg||2.7 kg||3 kg|
For the details of how to make koji rice, please go to this page >>How to Make Koji Rice
■ Recipes that use koji rice >>How to Make Miso >>How to Make Shio Koji >>How to Make Amazake (Sweet Sake)
The Benefits of Handmade Koji Rice
- ■ You know exactly what ingredients are being used. Formerly, in the Japanese family, miso, shouyu, amazake etc. were homemaded with koji. However, the eating habits change with the time, and miso, shouyu, amazake changed from "things to make" to "things to buy." Under such circumstances, there are many people who are uneasy because they don't know what type of rice is used, in foods such as miso and shio koji (salt koji) available at supermarkets etc. If it's handmade, you can make it with pesticide-free rice prepared by yourself so it's safe.
- ■ Handmade is fun! When Kawashimaya's staffs tried to make handmade koji rice, they're impressed that their hands became so smooth. It's a famous story that because they engage in sake-making, the hands of chief brewer at sake (Japanese liquor) brewery is beautiful. In koji rice's nutrients, there are a lot of components that make the skin beautiful. Then, if you make koji rice by yourself, you will take care of it like your own child. Thus, the miso and amazake you made will become more delicious.
- ■ It's more economical. When making miso, you will need koji in kilograms. If you buy it, it will be really pricey. For that, if you make your own koji using koji starter (Apergillus oryzae), it will be much more economical because you can even make koji rice from 15kg of rice.
Koji-making Professionals' Favorite Tools!
Koji-making's Best Friends
Strong against high temperature, excellent in steaming.
Rice won't stick to the cloth, a very handy steaming cloth.
It's also useful for moisture control during the warming of koji.
Seiro (Bamboo Steamer)
Steamed rice is the key to make koji.
Using bamboo steamer/seiro, steam the rice with high heat for about 40 minutes.
It's also a useful tool for daily dishes.
Tips for Making Steamed Rice from the Professionals
Bamboo steamer is recommended to steam the rice!
Also, tetoron steaming cloth is highly recommended!
Don't forget to steam the rice with high heat.
When steam/vapor comes out from the surface of rice and the surfaces become transparent, cover the steamer basket.
Steam it for about 40 minutes (recommended) after you put on the lid.
When steaming in bamboo steamer that has two or more rows, change the order of rows in midway of steaming process.
Here is the products
related to koji making
|Name||Koji Starter for Miso【Shirayuri Koji Starter】- Marufuku Koji Starter|
|Netto||200 grams (for 200kg portion)|
|Storage Method||Please put it in dry, cold, dark place with temperature lower than 15ºC.|
|Expired Date||From manufacture date:
・In cold dark place (such as in a shelf, refrigerator): about 6 months
・In freezer: about 1 year
Why shop with KAWASHIMAYA?
- We sell only authentic and high-quality products
- 100% Made in Japan products are as listed
- Organic and non-GMO products are as listed
- All products are new and have long expiry date
- All products are handled directly from our warehouse in Tokyo, Japan
- Easy and secure payment options with CC or PayPal
- Safe and insured international shipping methods
- English and Japanese customer support by email
- Wholesale discount prices available for selected products
- Find insightful articles from KAWASHIMAYA Blog
- Get exclusive discounts for KAWASHIMAYA Newsletter subscribers
- Easy shop on KAWASHIMAYA Amazon USA