Tofu Box (100% Tofu Box Type from Hinoki Cypress, Mie Prefecture) with Cloth and Sash bag
Out Of Stock
Tofu Box (100% Tofu Box Type from Hinoki Cypress, Mie Prefecture) with Cloth and Sash Bag
It is a wooden mold box to make homemade tofu.
A high-quality handcrafted product made by Japanese craftsmen from Kishu (Mie Prefecture). Using the highest grade of Japanese cypress or Hinoki, the craftsmen do not use any nails or an adhesive that will melt, so this product is durable. Hinoki Cypress is also used for temples and shrines, so you can use it for a long time with ease.
This tofu box uses 100% Hinoki Cypress. If you have soybean and nigari, you can easily make a good homemade tofu at home!
The Characteristics of Tofu Box (100% Tofu Box Type from Hinoki Cypress, Mie Prefecture
This tofu box made by natural Hinoki Cypress (or Japanese Cypress) from Kishu City. Each item has different color and wood grain because they are handmade with the natural tree.
Please look at the left picture below. These are the parts of the tofu box. From left: bottom plate; body; lid.
The sanding process is done with care so that there are no wood scratch at all.
This tofu box are also included with 100% cotton thread cloth and sash bag. Please use it for making a fine and smooth handmade tofu.
Because the you dan disassemble and assemble the parts easily, this tofu box is easy to wash. The material is also easy to dry, so you don't have to worry about mold. The Hinoki Cypress has a very good water resistance and pressure so they can even be used in the bathtub. Also, this tree is hard to deform and doesn't damage easily.
The Kumano City at Mie Prefecture has Hinoki Cypress forests since the Edo period. There, the Kishu Clan encourage the foresty and use shipping to carry the wood to Edo. Even from that time, Hinoki Cypress is already known as an excellent quality wood.
This box is a handcrafted product made by craftsmen. It has a unique refreshing scent from the Hinoki Cypress.
When washing this box, please wash it gently using a soft sponge. When drying, please do not use a dryer, etc. Please dry this box with natural air as much as possible in a well-ventilated place. Keep it in the cupboard after drying. Please avoid leaving the box in a wet and damp place because it will cause mold. This type of wood will not rot, crack, and loose. Because it is made 100% by Hinoki Cypress, this tofu box will not only hardened the tofu but also brings out the sweetness and umami of the soybean to its full extent.
Cloth and Sash Bag
The cloths included with the tofu box are a set of products produced by Yoshida textile specialty shop for food in Tsubame-shi, Niigata Prefecture. Kawashima The Japan Store made the order to the manufactures to create fine-grained and smooth handmade tofu.
This bag is suitable for the filtration process. The function is similar to the paper used in Nell Coffee Drip coffee making method. But when making tofu, we need to use a cloth material, not paper.
The manufactures are not using chlorine-based bleach in the bleaching process. In addition, this cloth has a soft texture that makes it difficult to make any scratch to the tofu.
The size for both bags: 33cm wide x 40cm long.
Sash Bag ↑
Once you tried handmade tofu, you probably won't get satisfied with ready-made commercial tofu. Please try and enjoy making handmade tofu at home!
The good part from Hinoki Cypress is very dominant in this product.
I think this is a good tofu box because it is using Hinoki Cypress. It's also good because this product does not use glue or nails at the seams.
We purchased 10 of this product at once because there was an event of making tofu at the kids' party.
I used the video on this page as a reference and print the steps for the event. It is surprisingly easy to imitate!
The fragrance of the tree is very good.
At the moment we opened the cardboard box containing the product, we smells the good smell of cypress. The texture of the product is also good, no scratches.
The tofu result is delicious!
I tried to make tofu from soy milk using this tofu box. The completion has a rich and delicious taste. I even make tofu for my friends. Next time, I will try to make tofu from soybeans.
I gave this tofu box along with a nigari as a gift to my Japanese friend living abroad.
Since it seems that they can find soybeans easily, they are very pleased to make homemade tofu as much as they want with this. The box is made in very good shape. When I use this to make homemade tofu, I feel like making tofu like a real Japanese tofu maker!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How to wash and store this product correctly?
- When washing this box, please wash it gently using a soft sponge. When drying, please do not use a dryer, etc. Please dry this box with natural air as much as possible in a well-ventilated place. Keep it in the cupboard after drying. Please avoid leaving the box in wet and damp places as it will cause mold to form on the surface.
- How many tofu can be made in single use?
- You can make 2 boxes of tofu servings per use (the dimension of the tofu box is 14.2cm in length, 9.5cm in width, and 8.7cm in height).
- Handmade Tofu Kit (Domestic Organic Soybean, Domestic Seawater Nigari & Tofu Box)
- We made the set of materials to make delicious tofu easily at home. Comparing to purchase it separately, it is beneficial to purchase it as a set. This set includes: 1 Domestic Organic Soybean "Toyomasari" 500g, 1 Oshima's Seawater Nigari 200ml, 1 Tofu Box (100% Tofu Box Type from Hinoki Cypress, Mie Prefecture), Cloths for Making Tofu (Cloth and Sash bag) 1pc each, An easy to understand tofu recipe. Convenient thermometer (optional, with just adding +280yen).
- Price: $37.33
- View Product
|Name||Tofu Box (100% Tofu Box Type from Hinoki Cypress, Mie Prefecture) with Cloth and Sash Bag|
|Contents||- 1 Tofu Box (100% Tofu Box Type from Hinoki Cypress, Mie Prefecture)
- 1 Cloth for Tofu Making
- 1 Sash Bag fo Tofu Making
|Tofu Box Size||14.cm × 9.5cm × 8.cm|
|Cloth And Sash Bag
Material And Size
|100％ Domestic Cotton
Both: Size 33cm × 40cm
|Place of Origin||Japan|
Why shop with KAWASHIMAYA?
- We sell only authentic and high-quality products
- 100% Made in Japan products are as listed
- Organic and non-GMO products are as listed
- All products are new and have long expiry date
- All products are handled directly from our warehouse in Tokyo, Japan
- Easy and secure payment options with CC or PayPal
- Safe and insured international shipping methods
- English and Japanese customer support by email
- Wholesale discount prices available for selected products
- Find insightful articles from KAWASHIMAYA Blog
- Get exclusive discounts for KAWASHIMAYA Newsletter subscribers
- Easy shop on KAWASHIMAYA Amazon USA